Gingerbread Smoothie Sparkle: Dessert Thickie
If you love gingerbread, you will adore this healthy gingerbread smoothie dessert version of this classic. I didn’t expect my baby to like such a powerful ginger taste, but she wolfed it down too. Not only is ginger really good for the immune system, there is something irresistible about it when combined with these other healthy ingredients.
This is the fourth of my ‘dessert thickie’ series. Click here to see all the dessert smoothies. These are healthy smoothies that taste like popular desserts with added fillers to turn them into a complete meal. These dessert smoothies will get rid of any cravings for biscuits but fill you up until your next meal. Add some sparkle to your diet!
Gingerbread Dessert Smoothie Recipe
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Non Dairy Milk (oat, rice, almond, hemp, coconut drink or raw nut or seed milk)
- 4 Bananas
- ¼ Cup Almonds (Use ground almonds/ almond flour if you don’t have a powerful blender)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of fresh or ground ginger OR
- 1 drop of ginger therapeutic grade essential oil (Learn how to get my favourite therapeutic essential oils at wholesale prices here.)
- 1 Tablespoon Molasses (If you need a gingerbread recipe without molasses, just substitue this for agave nectar, maple syrup, raw honey or ¼ cup of dates or raisins. If it gets too thick, add a little bit more water)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Optional: 1 Cup Oats (or choose one of the other 20 fillers)
- Optional: 1 Cup of Spinach or other mild greens
Blend the ingredients in the following order:
- Blend the dry ingredients and liquid first for a short time
- Blend the greens next. (If using) for a short time
- Blend the fruit and the rest of the ingredients until smooth (or as smooth as your blender will allow. High speed blenders may need 2 minutes for a green thickie, less powerful blenders may need a lot more, sometimes 5-10 minutes)
Blending this way allows the dry ingredients to be blended for longest, it means the greens will fit in your blender and your fruit gets less blending so it doesn’t become too hot.
- Add more water if required to thin it out.
- Substitute any of the ingredients for whatever you already have.
- If your smoothie is too warm, you can cool it down in the fridge or freeze some of your ingredients before blending. You can also replace half of the liquids with ice. Add the ice at the end. It is better to add frozen ingredients at the end to cool the smoothie down.
How much should I drink to replace a meal?
Only use a meal replacement if you’ve added the oats/quinoa.
This green thickie serves 2 so you should DRINK HALF OF THIS RECIPE. But if you have higher calorie requirements you may need to drink more.
Suitable for Special Diets: Gluten free (Use GF Oats or Quinoa), raw (Use raw oats/quinoa), vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, wheat free, soya free (don’t use soya milk or tofu), salt free (don’t add salt), nut free (replace nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds. This doesn’t include coconuts)
More information about making the perfect Green Thickie
If you are new to Green Thickies and have more questions about making the perfect green thickie, please read this guide on How to make a Green Thickie
Please like this on G+ by clicking the + at the bottom of the box.
A big welcome to essential oils from Katherine. If you're new to essential oils, I want to help you get started. Essential oils changed my life beyond all recognition. I would love the same to happen for you too.
Get your free 14 day essential oils e-course by clicking here.
The information you find within this site and presented herein is in no way intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease or illness. If you feel you have a medical condition you are urged to seek the help of a medical professional. You are encouraged to first seek the counsel of your health care professional before making any changes to your current health routine. The suggestions you find within this site and any files to be downloaded are for use with Young Living Therapeutic Grade Seed to Seal (TM) Essential Oils and NO other. This website is being provided with the understanding that the publisher, editor and the creator are not liable for the misconception or misuse of the information provided.